Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Conversation with a different child

R walked in today at 10:30, only 2 hours late. I check the admit slip which reads, "missed the bus." Funny thing is, I saw her mother drop off her 2 sisters on time. The following exchange took place.

Me
Hi R welcome to school. Your class hasn't returned from the field trip.
R
I missed the bus.
Me
I saw your mom drop your sisters off. Did they forget you at home?
R
Blank stare
Me (walking toward the door)
Okay, let's get your jacket and backpack in your locker.
R
Blank stare
Me
Is something wrong?
R
My mom didn't want to drive me to the field trip.
Me
I'm sorry. Was she running late?
R
No. She didn't feel like it.

R has CP and couldn't walk to the museum (walking field trip, about 1/2 mile). Mom had agreed to drive her and chaperone. Her mom is a bad word.

Oh, remember C? One of my aides saw him in the hallway this morning and asked him if he was going on the field trip. His reply, "No thanks. I'm not in the mood." Oops, I guess he didn't realize this wasn't an optional trip once you return your permission slip and show up to school on field trip day.

No comments: