Thursday, December 31, 2009

What is wrong with my yarn?

The following conversation took place between 11:00pm and 12:00am. (Can't you just hear Kiefer Sutherland saying that?)

T: (as he is trying to actually put coats in my yarn closet) Why do have so much yarn?
D: (I pretend not to hear.)
T: (louder) Why do you buy yarn if you aren't going to use it right away? (Now I hear him untying bags of yarn from the bar in the closet. These are projects: yarn and patterns actually in the bags, TOGETHER. They just haven't been started.)
D: All of the yarn you're moving is for a project.
T: (now obviously frustrated, it's late and I'm using skills I've learned from my students in being evasive.) That's not what I asked. Why do you buy yarn if you aren't going to use it as soon as you buy it?
D: (silence is golden, right?)
T: Well?
D: Because. (I drew this out as long as I could without making it sound whiny. Woo Hoo! He went back downstairs!!!! I don't have to explain this compulsion I have to buy ultra soft, beautiful to my eye fiber. Oh, and if it's on sale? I really have to buy it then. Has he forgotten all of the yarn shops he's visited with me and I've just bought yarn because it would be a nice hat for someone? I get a lot of hat requests from family and friends. Has he forgotten the times I've specifically been lured to shops by sales? I just mentioned to him this week that we should go to Grand Rapids this week because of a yarn sale....and he said as long as he could go to Koeze's that was fine!)

Oh well. I've escaped the yarn integration once again. The last time this happened he made me go buy new storage for my yarn. Too bad, huh 8- ) Now I have nice clear boxes and my yarn is sorted by weight and fiber. I was hoping he'd telling me to go by more boxes to store my projects but that didn't pan out. I probably should bring those three large totes of yarn up from the basement this week. He might really see some storage issues then.

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I grew up in Elkhart IN and lived there 26 years. Cold, cold, cold and lake effect snow! I wasn't sure what part of IN you were in.

Kathy Cassel said...

When did you live in Elkhart? I was there 1962(!!!!)-1988 with a few years away at college and teaching. I went to EBCS and graduated in 1980.